Senior Tax Manager (California)
Oversee and coordinate worldwide tax function including structuring and lifecycle planning for 100+ U.S. and foreign entities engaged in consumer products manufacturing and sales, real estate, and hospitality.
Complex U.S. federal, state and foreign tax planning and research, review of domestic and foreign corporate, partnership, and individual income tax returns, trust, estate & gift tax planning and compliance, sales & use, property, and other tax returns, coordination of in-house tax compliance function, worldwide treasury and banking oversight, planning, and compliance, transfer pricing, and tax examinations with a view towards minimizing worldwide tax and compliance costs and risks for a closely held group of entities in a family office environment.
Hands-on team player, practical, creative, detailed and analytical problem solver. Review of financial statements and tax provisions. Mentor, supervise, and train five tax department employees.
Location: Torrance CA (USA)
- A successful Senior Tax Manager must spend over 90% of work time on, and satisfactorily perform, these general categories of duties, which require significant discretion and independent judgment.
- Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Initiate and oversee all worldwide entity lifecycle book, tax, and treasury planning.
- Perform and oversee complex federal, state & local, and international individual, trust, partnership, and corporate income and estate & gift tax research and planning.
- Monitor proposed, pending, and actual changes in income, state & local, and international taxation with a view towards their impact on the affiliates and principals.
- Initiate analysis of debt versus equity funding and account for various inter-entity promissory notes. Coordinate payments of interest and principal.
- Review and approve tax estimates and extensions related to 100+ affiliate federal and state individual, partnership, and corporate income tax returns.
- Review of detailed schedules used to prepare the affiliates’ and principals’ tax returns.
- Review of the affiliates’ and principals’ tax returns. Initiate and review detailed proforma federal, state & local, and international individual, trust, partnership, and corporate income, and estate & gift tax calculations.
- Oversee opening, maintaining, and closing domestic and foreign bank accounts.
- Planning and review for inter-entity bank transfers for capitalization, working capital, third-party payments, and distributions from domestic and foreign affiliates including analysis of book and tax effects.
- Oversee collection of inter-entity receivables and payables.
- Provide similar functions for the principals’ banking needs.
- Oversee the accounting for numerous domestic and foreign bank accounts and the preparation and filing of reports for numerous foreign bank accounts having numerous authorized signers. Mentor and supervise the tax department employees.
- Oversee internal and external technical training for all tax department employees.
- Review of various other regulatory and tax filings.
- Supervise sales & use tax research for existing and new products for numerous state and local jurisdictions and review sales & use tax returns and payments for numerous state & local jurisdictions.
- Assist with tax authorities’ examinations of income, property, excise, and sales & use tax returns.
- Oversee preparation of transfer pricing reports for various affiliates.
- Plan Administrator for domestic companies’ retirement plans.
- Review internal and audited financial statements and related items for domestic and foreign affiliates.
- This list is a summary and not inclusive of all essential duties. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum of 7-10+ years or large accounting or law firm tax experience with increasing levels of responsibility.
- CPA., MST or JD required.
- Graduate tax or law degree preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- Microsoft Word, Excel, Power point, Acrobat, Thomson Reuters individual and entity tax software.
- Ability to perform Google searches for technical information and to enter information on various corporate and government websites.
- Approachable team player with excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize job tasks in order of changing priority and in a deadline driven, fast paced work environment.
- High degree of integrity; able to handle confidential information with absolute discretion.
- Strong initiative (drive, sense of urgency) and flexibility. Detail oriented with a high degree of accuracy.